My First 24-Hour Run: A Journey of Endurance and Self-Discovery

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a golden glow across the landscape, I stood at the starting line of what would be the most challenging and transformative experience of my life: my first 24-hour run. This wasn’t just a test of physical endurance; it was a journey into the depths of my own resilience, determination, and spirit.

This run began in Chandigarh at 4 p.m. on March 9, 2024. This was the hardest run I’ve ever done.

The Beginning: Nervous Excitement

The air was thick with anticipation as I joined fellow runners, each of us embarking on our unique quests. The first few hours were a blur of excitement and adrenaline. My legs felt strong, my mind sharp, and the rhythmic pounding of my feet on the ground was almost hypnotic. The camaraderie among runners was palpable, with encouraging smiles and nods shared as we settled into our paces.

The Night: Embracing the Darkness

As the sky darkened, the real test began. Running through the night presented a unique set of challenges. The temperature dropped, and the trail was cloaked in shadows. Each step required heightened awareness to avoid obstacles. My headlamp became my most trusted companion, illuminating the path ahead and guiding me through the enveloping darkness.

During these hours, I found solace in the silence. The world was asleep, and it felt like I was part of something secret and profound. The stars above were my witnesses, and the nocturnal sounds of nature became my soundtrack. This solitude allowed for deep introspection. Each step was a meditation, a chance to confront and overcome the mental barriers that threatened to halt my progress.

The Struggle: Pushing Through Pain

As the hours wore on, fatigue set in. My muscles ached, and blisters formed on my feet. Each lap around the course felt longer and more arduous. There were moments when I questioned my sanity, when quitting seemed like the only logical option. But in those moments, I discovered the true essence of endurance: the ability to keep moving forward, no matter how slow the pace, no matter how great the pain.

I drew strength from the support of physio team and support crew team who cheered me on from the sidelines. Their encouragement was a lifeline, reminding me of the reasons I had embarked on this journey. I wasn’t just running for myself; I was running to prove that with determination and heart, anything is possible.

The Dawn: A New Beginning

As the first light of dawn broke over the horizon, a renewed sense of energy surged through me. The promise of a new day brought with it a wave of hope and determination. I had made it through the night, and the finish line was within reach. Each step brought me closer to my goal, and the rising sun mirrored my rising spirits.

The Finish: Triumph and Reflection

When the final hour arrived, exhaustion was replaced by exhilaration. Crossing the finish line after 24 hours was a moment of pure triumph. It wasn’t just the culmination of a physical challenge, but the realization of a personal journey. I had pushed my limits, faced my fears, and emerged stronger.

In the days following the run, I reflected on the lessons learned. Endurance is as much about mental fortitude as it is about physical strength. The support of a community can be a powerful motivator. And most importantly, we are all capable of far more than we realize when we dare to push beyond our comfort zones.

My Injuries during the run:

At 09.30 hours into the run, I felt the first tightness in my right knee, and my right calf muscles pulled. I was able to start jogging again with physiotherapy team’s assistance. Up 09.00 pm, I was running my track at nine kilometers per hour pace. I was on fourth place. About 10.30 hours into my run, I experienced a pulled ligament in my left knee.  My right knee experienced the same issue. I could not move. The physiotherapy team advises me to stop immediately. If not, my knee might sustain a serious injury from which I would need months to heal.

Around 12:00 into the run, I realized I couldn’t keep going. It was 97.48 kilometers that I covered. And I was psychologically terrified by the physiotherapy team’s comments.  I talked about it with two different physiotherapy teams to get it over with.

I finally decided to give up running at 12:00. Since I was still confused. I expressed my desire to quit. My injuries prevent me from walking.  I was told by the organizer to take an hour off before making a final decision. Not just now. And he told me that you have to run 110 kilometers to be eligible for a medal. There are only 13 km left to run or walk, and you have 12 hours remaining. Mattresses and blankets were quickly set up for me by the organizational support crew.

I was watching runners on the ground as I was resting. For a moment, I could not close my eyes. My body began to shake from the cold. At thirteen hours of my  run at five in the morning, I decided to try and not give up. Already my body had begun to shriveled. I managed to get on the ground and walk after taking one pain killer. I was attempting to pick up speed while walking at a 10 km/h pace. and started running slowly. But once more, around seven in the morning, I gave up. I went to the physio team counter again. This time physio crew team was changed.

This time, I met a wonderful physiotherapist. She was like a goddess to me right then and there. She told me, ‘You will run for a whole day. She gave me good care for half an hour. She told me i will have to spend five minutes each hour stretching to my knees with the help of physio crew support team.  I started running again at 07.30 am. This time, I was in a favorable situation. That area is exposed to sunlight. Whenever I run in the sun, my body becomes a bit stronger. The light was coming up, and I was moving faster.

Right now, my position on the result board was nine. Pushing myself, I started going to the physiotherapist once an hour. At 11:00 a.m., I took another painkiller. Because of the painkillers and physio team, I was able to push myself and started to advance up the result board. For the last four hours of the race, as I remember, I was the only one running really fast on the ground.

Perhaps it was a lucky angle for the sun to shine, and I felt a magical energy coursing through me. I was making every effort to pass the runner in third position.  I was only nine laps behind the third-place finisher at three in the afternoon. But I realized that my body already have given its best push on the track. I changed my goal and decided to complete as many laps as I could during last 30 minutes. Pay no attention to third place. I finished fourth out of 394 laps, or 172 kilometers.

For the first time after finishing a run, I started crying at the finish line. This run gave me a lot to think about. not to decide on something on the spot. Wait it out and fight the injuries with your endurance. In the end, I’m satisfied with how everything worked out. This was my second ultra run, and it was the most mileage I had done thus far.

I’ve been running as a hobby for more than 20 months. Over the last 20 months, I’ve been injured several times. During my journey, I picked up a lot of life lessons. After resting and allowing my knee to heal for a few days, I will begin training for my next challenge.

My Instagram:

My Strava:


My first 24-hour run was more than just a race; it was a transformative experience that tested my limits and revealed my inner strength. It taught me the value of perseverance, the power of community, and the boundless potential within each of us. As I look ahead to future challenges, I carry with me the knowledge that no obstacle is insurmountable, and that every step, no matter how small, brings me closer to my dreams.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *